In this survival gear review, we will look at another fire starter. For true preppers and survivalists, having more than one fire building tool is crucial for survival. So aside from your waterproof matches, butane lighters and fire steels, if you can add another fire-building tool that makes use of the sun’s energy to help you build fire in an emergency situation, you probably will.
The Tinder Hot Box Solar Fire Starter by Solo Scientific
The Tinder Hot Box Solar Fire Starter relies solely on the sun to start a fire. The lower bottom of the tinder storage box is a parabolic reflector that focuses all solar energy to a singular point just beneath the base of the tinder holder arm. The tinder holder is stowable in the top housing when not in use.
As a tinder holder, it is airtight and watertight to keep the tinder inside dry and ready to use in any situation.
The top portion of the Tinder Hot Box Solar Fire Starter is also a signal mirror. So this survival tool functions three ways: as a watertight and airtight tinder holder, as a solar fire starter and as an emergency signal.
- 2.625 inches in diameter
- 0. 725 inches thick
- 4 oz in weight
- The outside is machined from solid aircraft aluminum and knurled for easier grip
- Uses an o-ring seal
- Comes with complete instructions
- Made in the USA by Solo Scientific
Tinder Hot Box Solar Fire Starter Pros and Cons
- The o-ring seal keeps the tinder within the compartment sealed from the elements.
- It can function in any environment as long as the sun shines and there is tinder to be found.
- No moving parts, no batteries necessary, no fuels needed and no flint required.
- Holds a good amount of tinder so you will always have dry tinder to build a fire.
- Makes use of a free ignition source – the sun.
- The top portion can be used as a signal mirror after the tinder arm holder is removed.
- A bit on the pricey side, but the investment could be worth it in the long run.
If you are looking for a fire starter you can add to your existing fire builders, the Tinder Hot Box Solar Fire Starter could be worth checking out. It can hold a good amount of tinder and keep it dry and ready to use when you need to use it. It basically saves you money in the long run because it utilizes the sun as ignition source. It is pretty fast at starting a fire due to the design which allows for the solar energy to be focused on a single point in the tinder. Plus, the upper portion also doubles as a signal mirror.
You can get the Tinder Hot Box Solar Fire Starter from here.