Pantyhose have awesome potential as a multi-purpose tool and deserve a place in your survival kit and is useful for all sorts of things in both temporary and long-term disasters.
Here are 20 ways you can use pantyhose for survival:
1. Stay Warm. Wearing pantyhose will help you stay warm. Note: Men may have to cut some extra space in the crotch area.
3. Prevent Bug Bites. Marines have been known to use them to stop tick, ant, and chigger bites. They will also stop jellyfish stings and leeches when you’re wading through water.
4. As a Mosquito Net., Cut several of pantyhose in lengthwise and stitch them together to make a mosquito net. Mosquitoes don’t fly through them.
5. As a Mask. Pantyhose won’t protect you from virus, but it will protect your lungs and stop the dust by putting them over your head.
6. For First Aid. There are several options here: use them as a tourniquet, as a way to hold bandages in place, to tie a splint in place, or to make a sling.
7. Filter Water. Stretch the pantyhose on a wide mouthed container and pour the water into another container to filter large particles or debris.
8. Sprout Seeds. First soak your seeds in two inches of lukewarm water for 24 hours. Then pour the water and seeds into pantyhose, squeeze out as much water as you can, and hang it up to dry. Pour water over the seeds and hang them up to dry again, and do that several times a day. Once the seeds sprout, transplant them.
9. Grow Plants. For potted plants, plug the bottom with pantyhose to keep soil from escaping while the extra water drains out. For climbing plants such as peas and tomatoes, use strips of pantyhose to tie the stalks to a support without damaging them.
10. Protect Your Garden. Put dog or human hair in some pantyhose, then tie them in several places on the fence around your garden. The smell will keep deer and other foragers away.
11. Store Small Items. While foraging, you can use them to gather berries, nuts, and herbs. You could also use them to organize or carry small items like nuts and bolts, bathroom supplies, pill bottles, etc.
12. Store Your Food. In fact, onions can last as long as six months by using pantyhose as a storage because the holes allow air in.
13. Dry Your Food. Put peppers, herbs, and other food in them and hang them in the sun to dry out.
14. Dry Your Tinder. If your tinder is damp, you don’t want to store it in an ordinary bag or in your pocket. It’s better to put it in pantyhose and hang it up so it can dry out.
15. Catch Bait. Pantyhose is also a great option for storing bait while fishing.
16. Catch Crabs. Put some bait in the toe and dangle the pantyhose in shallow water. When crabs try to get the bait, they’ll get tangled in the netting.
17. Hunt Small Animals. Put a large rock or several small rocks in the toe and tie it off, then use it as a bola to kill birds and small game.
19. As a Belt.You can use it to hold your pants up or as a temporary belt.
20. Fix Your Vehicle. Pantyhose can also be used as a temporary fan belt. It won’t last long, but it could get your vehicle home or to the nearest garage.