The bandana is high on top of the often-forgotten-survival-items list. People don’t usually regard this item as a survival item which is why it gets left out often. However, like rope or cordage and duct tape, the bandana can have a thousand different uses in a survival situation – but not a single specific one.
In this post, I have gathered a list of survival uses for a bandana from different prepping and survival blogs. So here are 36 uses for bandana and more reasons for you to start including them in your emergency kit, BOB or EDC if you haven’t already…
1. Signal – a bright colored bandana is best; hung up as flag over a campsite or swing it around on a stick.
2. Makeshift bag/ Hobo pack – tie opposing corners to carry all sorts of loose items.
3. Tourniquet – not so much for snake bites, but for a dangerously bleeding extremity.
4. Cordage – tear off strips and twist them to a cord or you can use the whole bandana.
5. Mask – protection against dust, allergens, sand storm, as smoke filter
6. Sun protection
7. First aid sling to fix a busted arm
8. Cold compress – wet the bandana or fold it up with snow or ice for a cold compress.
9. Towel or washcloth
10. Sling (weapon)
11. Water filter or more specifically, a pre-filter (to clear the water and protect your water filter from premature clogging)
12. Bandage (must be clean)
13. Dish rag
14. Pot mitt
15. Warmth provider – use bandana to stave off frostbite, as earmuffs or as gaiter
16. Mark your trail with pieces of bandana
17. Gear wrap – prevents your gear in your backpack from making a noise and attracting unwanted attention
19. Eye patch
20. For fire – you can soak a cotton bandana in oil to make a torch or you can use it dry as tinder when building a fire
21. For collecting wild edibles
23. Waist pack/pouch
24. Cleaning patches for firearm
25. Bullet patches for muzzleloader
26. Gun wipe cloth (with oil)
27. Clean glasses and other lens
28. Bind a stone and toss a line over a limb
30. Padding a hotspot to keep from blistering
31. Protection from foul odors (add a few drops of essential oil)
32. Wet and wear in hot weather to keep you cool
33. As a net to catch minnows and other bait
35. Cloth diaper for a child
36. Toilet paper (if you have no other options)
Any other survival uses for a bandana you’d like to add to this list? Post them in the comment below!